- MA in History, Brigham Young University
- BA in Family and Local History, Brigham Young University
Areas of Specialty
- United States, emphasis in Midwestern and Northern States
- Pioneers of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- U.S. Midwestern States
- "A Brief History of the Accreditation Program" in Becoming an Excellent Genealogist: Essays on Professional Research Skills. Salt Lake City, UT: International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists, 2012.
- "How Can I Feel Motivated to Do Family History Work?" In The Arms of His Love. Salt Lake City, UT: Deseret Book Co., 2000.
- Review of Burr Fancher, Captain Alexander Fancher: Adventurer, Drover, Wagon Master and Victim of the Mountain Meadows Massacre (Inkwater Press, 2006) in Journal of Mormon History 34:3 (Summer 2008), 257-63.
- Review of Andrew Hedges and Richard Neitzel Holzapfel, Within These Prison Walls: Lorenzo Snow's Record book, 1886-1897 (Deseret Book, 2010) in BYU Studies 51:3 (2012), 190.
- Review of Ruby Coleman, Genealogical Research in Nebraska (Family Roots Publishing Co., 2011) in FGS Forum 24:1 (Spring 2012), 40.
- Review of Carol McGinnis, Genealogy at a Glance: Michigan Genealogy Research (Genealogical Publishing Co., 2011) in FGS Forum 24:3 (Fall 2012), 39-40.
- Review of Sharon DeBartolo Carmack, Genealogy at a Glance: American Cemetery Research (Genealogical Publishing Co., 2012) in FGS Forum 24:3 (Fall 2012), 40.
- "Gathering to the West; Across Iowa; The Mormon Battalion, Part I." History of the Saints. Season 1. Produced by Dennis Lyman and Glenn Rawson. Film Documentary, 2011. On-camera expert. http://historyofthesaints.org/
Family History Courses Taught
- Hist 217- Family Historian's Craft
- Hist 439 - Seminar in Professional Family History Research
- Hist 434 - Using Technology in Historical Research and Publication
- Hist 403 - U.S. Midwest Family History Research
- Hist 280 - U.S. Northern States Family History Research
- Rel C 261 - Introduction to Family History (Genealogy)